Thursday, October 14, 2010

Another kind of academic diary


My wonderful PhD paper is ready for almost one year and already went through minimum three rewriting processes. Most probably, for the book I am intending to write - a good reason to return more often to this dear neglected blog - I will rewrite at least twice the whole material, beyond the translation process and the need to adapt and rewrite fragments and chapters, in order to better address the Western audience.

To recap: I am ready and prepared to face the defense, to answer the questions and to present my arguments and ideas. (I even went intensively to a couple of Toastmasters sessions in order to improve my public speaking skills.)What I am waiting for? For finishing the long and extremely annoying process of filling papers, going with a file from a building to another, correcting various bureaucratic formulae. And the most part of the fun is that I have only three more weeks until the established deadline for entering the final stage of the PhD - the defense - and still I am jumping around nervous, more and more nervous from a day to another, giving desperate phone calls and trying to solve - from thousand-kilometer away, because I cannot go back home every week - problems I hope to delete from my brains 1/2 second after the whole chaos is over.

I very often remark that I would better write another 600 or more pages paper+the research, than to face this grotesque system. But, thanks to some brilliant ideas, I will succeed. Can't wait. To start a new project, of course.

No comments: